Saturday, November 13, 2010

Vivian

1 I like not having more things than I need. I like to get rid of excess. If something is sentimental, yet useless, I will take a picture of it, then throw it away.

2 I also enjoy finding what things I do need in what I like to call the Magic Dumpster. Here's how it works, you make a wish on the magic dumpster and then in a few days it appears (its BY the dumpster, not IN it people). examples of dumpster finds: entertainment center, chair, bed, bookshelf, the list goes on and on.

3 I believe that safety is not "first" as many suggest, but is in fact second.

4 On a highly related note: I once was checking out at the grocery store with my then roommate Amanda and said to the clerk, "Just because we're buying rubbing alcohol and matches, doesn't mean we're up to something". We were. We were about to attempt to clean our toilet of all germs by lighting it on fire.

5 One thing you might not know is that I have an anxiety about being late. Symptoms include increased heart rate and marked irritability.

6 One odd thing in my life is that strangers ask me for directions at what I would say is an above normal rate. My guess is an average of 6-8 times a year. At one point in my life it happened with such frequency that I began a log of such occurrences and considered carrying an area map with me.

7 I do not like gossip and wish everyone would mind their own business. Sometimes I tell people this. I think it makes them happy.

8 I can stare at good photographs for a long time.

9 A bear once used my toothbrush at the beginning of a long hike. Did I use the recovered utensil? mmm mmm.

10 Once, early on in marriage, I asked Jerry to help me cook by cutting up an onion. He had not done a lot of cooking to that point in his life and asked me how he should cut it. I told him to cut it in small equal sized pieces. He raised his eyebrows and looked overwhelmed and said, "You're talking about spherical dimensions..."

11 One of the dumbest things I've ever done is try to dry my socks in the oven. Hey- I was in a hurry.

12 There were years of my life when all day every day, no matter how much sleep I got, I was tired. Those days are over now.

13 Public Speaking- most people hate it, I like it.

14 Jerry and I make financial decisions in much the same way. I would guess that we spend at least 1 minute of thought or internet research per dollar spent. It took us a long time to buy a car.

15 I once heard of a book called "Silencing Your Inner Critic". I thought, "Huh. My inner critic? I'm not even sure that we've met. Maybe my inner critic is asleep on the job."

16 As a child, Halloween was actually scary. My sisters and I would knock on a door to trick or treat and my dad would slip away and hide. And as we would leave and walk toward the next house, we never knew where he might be... somewhere waiting there in the shadows, a 6'2'' vampire.

17 I prefer the Suzuki method for cooking. It's like someone saying, "I play by ear." I don't read recipes, I cook by mouth.

18 Both Jerry and I thought parenting a small child was going to be 90% work, and 10% good times (which would presumably make up for the 90). We were pleased to find that the numbers are in actuality inverted.

19 The worst thing I've ever accidentally dropped in a toilet was my snowboarding goggles. So bad for so many reasons.

20 When I was young I had a tendency to ask for some less than traditional Christmas presents. Including, but not exclusive to: Ketchup packets (the kind you get at a fast food place), chickens, a banana cream pie to stick my face in. These are at least the ones I remember due to parental compliance.

21 On a directly connected note, I once owned a pet chicken. Named it "Pot Pie". Just wait this story gets better. I taught Pot Pie to walk with me on a leash. I painted Pot Pie's toenails. I taught Pot Pie to ride on the handlebars of my bike. That was one smart chicken.

22 The only bumper sticker I've ever had on my car was one about Ultimate Frisbee. I currently play twice a week.

23 Once, while riding my bike to work, I came across a group of boys beating up another boy. I jumped off and threw down my bike in a big crash and yelled, "HEY!". They stopped and turned to look at me. All I came up with to do was to stick up a finger at them and say "Be nice!".

24 I spent 10 months of my life in England living with 8 Chinese women.

25 I find stereotypes and categorizing myself or others intellectually uncomfortable. I think it marks the end of investigation and therefore the end of growth. This was a significant hindrance to writing this list. After every thing about me I want to add "sometimes".

2 comments:

  1. 10 is my favorite. and 11. and 15. and 18. and 25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list - Makes me want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete