Monday, February 27, 2012

An Application Risk

February 16, 2012
From: Boston University

Dear Rachel:

We recently received your application to the MPH program at Boston University and wanted to get back to you immediately. We are in the midst of reviewing a record number of applications and like what we see in you. Because our selection process is very rigorous, we want to be sure that the students we admit will add to our culture of challenge and dedication.

Please tell us what you think you can add to our tight-knit community of students and alumni. We’re not looking for a specific answer here; we’d just like to know a bit more about you and why BUSPH is the right place for you.

Please reply directly to this email and keep it short and simple.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

J. E. Hull
Assistant Dean of Admissions



February 17, 2012
From: Rachel
To: Boston University

Ms. Hull –

I am glad to hear you are considering my application and would like to know more about me.

I could tell you that when I visited Boston for the first time last May I fell in love with the city and the feel of Boston University. I could tell you that, although I’ve looked into and applied for other programs, my hopes keep coming back to the International Health MPH at BUSPH. It fits everything that I am looking for in an MPH program, and I believe that my global education and broad work experience are, in turn, what you are looking for.

But as you say, BUSPH has a culture of challenge and dedication… so I would like to show you an example of how I can bring these qualities to your school. I hope you will enjoy this short and simple video that will show you my response to a recent challenge:

http://youtu.be/2oXdNFgwGi4

Thank you again for your consideration! I look forward to hearing more from you.

Sincerely,

Rachel Ashby


February 27, 2012
From: Boston University

Dear Rachel:

I am writing today with some good news. You have been accepted to the Master of Public Health program at Boston University School of Public Health entering in the fall of 2012. In addition, you have been chosen to receive a merit award towards your BUSPH tuition.

In the coming weeks, you will receive an acceptance packet in the mail detailing our offer of admissions, as well as further information about your merit award and additional financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Congratulations. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes,

J. D. Neessen
Associate Director of Admissions Outreach

4 comments: