Sunday, January 30, 2011

Born again?

Hi Ashbygirls this is Jerry. I have requested permission from Vivian to post this video because I think it is something that maybe only an Ashby can truly appreciate.

Every time we shop at BJ's (kinda like Costco, but worse) we walk by this Samsung 3D TV display. One day I walked by and noticed that in the demo video some Michael Bolton style gospel singing trumpeter was being featured. At first I was incredulous thinking "this has to be some other Michael Bolton style gospel singing trumpeter, right?" and then realizing the impossibility of there ever being another one of those I just accepted that this guy has returned from the 80s.

So I would like to reintroduce you to Phil Driscoll. Does watching this video make you want to pull out the old VHS tape and watch "The Young Messiah" from the 80s again?

P.S. - Would you think a guy was crazy if you saw him using his phone to record a 2d video of a 3D TV demo while chuckling silently to himself?

Phil Driscoll from Jerry Thomas on Vimeo.

9 comments:

  1. it IS him!! my favorite is the stevie wonder sway back and forth. i am so proud of a brother in law who could spot a random 80's cult favorite of his in-law family in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you did NOT buy one of those televisions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it you Claire that wrote about how 3D movies are a waste of money? I thought you said it somewhere on this blog but I can't find it right now.

    So no, I don't own a TV and won't even buy this one. Even with that intoxicating trumpet calling to me from the other side of the store.

    Here is what Roger Ebert says about 3D-

    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hate 3D movies, you're right. I guess I was just so enthralled with what was on the screen, my judgement was clouded.

    but can you imagine what it might be like to feel as if Phil Driscoll was singing and swaying IN your living room?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only kinda imagine because the 3D demo glasses only kinda worked.

    But this reminds me of some podcast (probably This American Life) where some singer/song writer (maybe Rufus Wainwright) actually played a private show for a guy and his girlfriend. Verdict: having a live performer in your living room is actually kinda awkward. I think Phil (yes we're on a first name basis now) does better in a music hall with an orchestra and choir.

    Which leads to the next question. What if you could live in a music hall? Maybe in a private sound booth at the back?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing better than 80's crazy gospel trumpet man (I think giving him a name makes him too human), is BOOTLEG crazy gospel trumpet man. You are a good brother, Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you imagine that guy's bald head with bulging veins and bulging eyes 3D!? too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was This American Life, but it wasn't Rufus Wainwright. It was some person I'd never heard of before.

    ReplyDelete