Saturday, December 12, 2009

Soccer Daze




We started our career as soccer parents today, and it went about like you'd expect. At first I was optimistic, because we have two kids named Jorge on the team and I thought that the other team might just forfeit straight out from fear. But, it turns out that the rest of the kids on our team are a bunch of Mormons (how did we get randomly placed with all the Mormons? How did they know?) named things like Fisher and Brooklyn and...Lucy.

I had a little chat with Lucy before the game, explaining important soccer concepts like the far post, and the positions. I may have explained the positions a little too well, because during the first quarter Lucy's position ranged approximately one square foot. During the second quarter the coach explained that she actually was allowed to run, and moved her up to offense. This meant that there was a scrum of boys and Lucy, literally flitting along behind, arms held out from her body, elbows slightly bent and fingers fluttering rhythmically in the breeze as she skipped after the pack.

I had promised myself I would not scream instructions from the sidelines, but one time when Lucy was facing me, ignoring the action and doing some elaborate sign language about 'what are we having for lunch' that I had to yell "Look! The ball is COMING!" I think that was reasonable, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, but look how CUTE she looks! you gotta love a kid in an oversized jersey and shinguards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o my carrie. i just laughed so hard with the image of my pretty lucy bird playing soccor... and don't worry, you have quite a ways to go before you cross over to psycho sports parent.

    ReplyDelete