Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Heaven in a Howard Johnson's

6:40pm- drop Chris and Lucy off at the Gregory's. Drive away by myself. All alone. Without anyone else in the car.

6:52pm- I have the Howard Johnson's in sight. By now I'm so excited, I have to work to keep from running the light at N. Temple/300 West.

6:58pm- room key in hand, I'm literally running to room 114. I open the door into one of the best presents I've ever received: Alone Time.

7:05-7:40pm- Bath time. Quiet. Till my feet are wrinkly and I'm warmed through.

7:45pm- unpack my bag and strew the contents over my glorious king sized bed:
1 bag Lay's Salt and Vinegar potato chips
1 package Lindt chocolate balls, mixed variety.
4 ginger snaps
1 Izzy carbonated beverage, blackberry flavor
1 People magazine, Best of 2009 edition
1 orange
1 novel 'The Book of Lost Things'

8:02pm- make my first of many rounds of the cable TV viewing options. Pause briefly to admire Johnny Depp in some variety of the Pirates of the Caribbean. Decide POTC is NOT worthy of this night.

8:13pm- call Claire. Revel.

8:19-9:30- read People magazine. Eat chips and chocolate balls till my lips start to hurt. Real bad.

9:45pm- realize I've left the toothpaste at home. Try unsuccesfully to rinse salt/vinegar/chocolate film from teeth.

9:50pm- talk to Claire again; she convinces my it will be worth it to get dressed and trek back across the frozen parking lot for some complimentary toothpaste.

9:55pm- get dressed and trek across frozen parking lot.

10:00pm- brush teeth, twice and make one more tour around cable TV. Get out book.

10:30pm- realize that my dream of staying up until 3am is dying a rapid death. Fall asleep.

5:35am- wake up, look at clock, realize that approximately 16 blocks away, Theo has just woken up. Feel warm and happy inside as I fall back asleep.

8:30am- awake better rested than I can ever remember being since Lucy was born. Think fond thoughts of my mother. Read in bed.

10:00am- head for home, happy with the world, determined to be a better wife and mother, knowing I will always have a special spot in my heart for the SLC Howard Johnson hotel. And for my mother, who believed me when i told her what I wanted for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment