Monday, May 18, 2015

You had me at "surprisingly"...

Since I'll be leaving this job in a few months, it could be a long time before I have the enjoyment/pain of going through resumés again. It hasn't been a huge part of my job, but it would come around every once in a while. 

It is exhausting sometimes, to have to review hundreds of job applications, but it can also be quite entertaining. I've posted about a few of these before, but thought I'd catch up with some more highlights. Maybe some other time I'll document the amazing interviews I've seen.


One of my favorites, listed under Academic Accomplishments:


-California Scholarship Federation: Surprisingly stayed in for several semesters


Or these lines, listed under Traits or Skills:

-Proficient in email and using the search engine (like anyone, ever)
-Competitive athletic experience in figure skating (admittedly, not like anyone, ever)
-Great Communication Skills (Oral and Written), Experienced in Costumer Service
-Proficient in word processing and other emerging technologies.  (like the fax machine, presumably)

One person just wrote: 


-Organized, (yes, it ended with a comma)


And my personal favorite

-Predicted 10 out of the 11 games in the 2011 NFL Playoffs (82%)  




Depending on the position, we might have specific questions we want them to answer:

Describe your purchasing experience using automated purchasing systems.
-I have used systems like amazon and ebay.

Describe your experience working in a business office setting performing purchasing, receiving, accounts payable or other business transactions.
 
-coworkers were friendly and team players. They also let you do your thing.   

Other gems- the resumé I got (as a pdf) that was 6 pages in 48-size font, the applicant who had written a self-published novella about her cat, and the guy who went into detail about his experience helping to recycle boxes by carrying them from the 3rd to the 2nd floor.

The most memorable application I received, though, was an email from the automated job site, with nothing but an attached file, titled Resume.pdf. When I opened it, all I found was this*:




I might have hired the guy if he had included even a shred of contact info.

*Not the actual photo, as I felt that might be unethical, but this was very close. 

4 comments:

  1. oh man Claire what will they do without you? Who will weed out the less than worthy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think, if you'd done your job a little differently you could have worked with a costumer, a male model, and a figure skater. Think of all the flair.

    This made me laugh so hard. Could you contract for UCD to read resumes and job applications for them, so we can keep hearing these stories?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start all of my sentences now with "Surprisingly...."
    Plus the guy who can predict the playoffs? There's a skill. You can just imagine him sitting there thinking, "hmmm, what am I good at...?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha- it just occurred to me that 10 out of 11 games is actually NOT 82%. Maybe he's not as good at stats as he thinks.

    ReplyDelete