Wednesday, May 13, 2015

This I Believe

Sarah Ashby
Sis. Abenroth
Eng. 106
12 May 2015
“This I believe”

I believe in sisters. Sisters can be the worst and the best. How are they the worst you ask? I will tell you. When you were younger having a room to yourself was probably unheard of. If you were in my family you didn’t even get your own bed; my two younger sisters and I shared a king-sized bed for most of my childhood. And because you had to share a room, if you had to go somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, 7:00 am or earlier, you had to get dressed in the dark, so your socks probably didn’t match. You most likely had to share a bathroom. I had to share mine with five others, sheesh. If you had more than one sister, like I did, your mom probably had to initiate some sort of quiet time. We actually had to read books and we couldn’t talk above a whisper.
Sisters can also bring on arguments (that of course weren’t your fault). There were two doozies in our family that I can remember. One was over chapstick. The other was about Barbie clothes. Someone wouldn’t give something back…ok, so that one was my fault, let’s move on.
It was on my 18th birthday when I thought sisters were the worst. My sisters thought it would be funny to make me do things I didn’t like in order to get my presents: walk across poky grass in my bare feet, eat raw onion, beets, egg yolk, and other things. I’ve tried to block that day from my memory.  If your own family is out to get you, what do you have left?
What you have left is why sisters are the best. If you are like me you have a built-in best friend. I have five best friends. We are there for each other anytime day or night, except when they live clear across the world, “Now let’s see, it’s 12:00 noon here. Thailand is three hours ahead of us, tomorrow night.” Then I might have to pick a different sister to call. But even if I called that groggy sister I know she would still be there for moral support.
They make me laugh. When we are all home for holidays or when we’re all at the beach together you might find me on the floor from laughing too hard. That might also be that the clock says 12:30 am, but we’ll say it’s because they know how to tell a good story.
Sisters will listen to you complain, at least mine will. I have a deal with one of my sisters: that when you want to complain but don’t actually want advice, the other person just listens. But if you want advice, they will give you that too. Sometimes they give it even if you don’t ask.
So as you can see having five sisters can have its downside but for the most part my sisters are my life. If something ever happened to one of them nothing would be the same. We laugh, we cry, we love. What more could you ask for? We are the Ashby girls.
 

10 comments:

  1. I laughed, cried, and loved this whole essay. "Sometimes they give it even if you don't ask." hahaha. So generous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. especially the:
    "If your own family is out to get you, what do you have left?
    What you have left is why sisters are the best"
    Also, sisters are totally built-in best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the story of a loving family that lost chapstick, and the one sister who had no choice but to write about it. We are... the Ashby Girls. dee dee da deee da daaaa. boo-do, boo-do, ba-dooo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. Rachel's funny. Sisters are good because they will laugh at your jokes. Great essay, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that I am "that groggy one."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked how "your socks not matching" is one of the worst things sarah could think of. Great work, love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ps. What the heck is rach boo-doing about? Apparently all sisters don't get ALL the jokes...

    ReplyDelete