Sunday, May 22, 2011

Maker Faire

Saturday Gordon and I went to San Mateo to attend Maker Faire. We got to see my friends Clarence and Kendra, which was fun. It's a difficult event to explain. It's put on by MAKE magazine, and showcases people who "make" things. All kinds of things.

We watched a battle between Axis and Allies 1/144 scale combat ships, which shot actual, live rounds of BBs and 1/4 inch ball bearings.
We saw Lego cities.
We saw a robot pulling a chariot.
We saw a guy who would write a poem for you- you choose the price, and the topic.
I overheard a guy say, "I won't be able to die happy until I make my own sword."
We had our body composition tested by a new machine from GE. Not pretty.
We watched a demonstration by the Diet Coke and Mentos guys- 108 bottles.
One guy tried to sell us a homemade laser.
They had solar cars, bikes, and merry-go-rounds.
We watched sparks fly between two Tesla towers (one million volts).
And I got hit by a motorized muffin.

As we parked the car, and walked toward the event, Gordon said, "I hope we see some steampunk." No worries. We saw some within 3 minutes, and never stopped.

6 comments:

  1. amazing! i wish i could take the kids there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live on the wrong coast, I conclude once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each one of your items is crazy and I love that they are all related to each other through this single event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea for a fair! I'm glad you included a picture of the motorized muffin, because I was really wondering what that means. Wait, I guess I still am...

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are so crazy and interesting. I really want to go to this. Once again, I find myself wishing I was eccentric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably every 30 minutes, I would turn to Gordon and say, "This is such an interesting collection of people."

    ReplyDelete