Sunday, March 8, 2015

They call it a Youth Hostel for a reason.

Traveling with Rachel made me feel just a bit past my back-packing prime. For example:

- When she told me to "go stand by that tree and do a cool yoga pose," I just looked at her, blinking, for a long, long time...
 ...which is the same look she got on her face every time I suggested we spend a $2 to get a tuk-tuk ride instead of walking somewhere.
-  I wanted to be at the hotel in bed by 9 every night.
- She always understood the map/instructions a few seconds before I did.
- I made her take a bigger backpack, and wanted to suggest something with wheels.
- Multiple people assumed I was her mother
-I found myself hurrying to swipe the leftover hotel shampoo, just in case R was eyeing it.
- I cut up her mango sticky rice for her
- I was ambivalent about joining her for the jump photos
- When we told Theo that I was 16 when Rachel was born, it made him giggle for about 2 minutes straight
- She had to show me how to check in for a flight on your phone

But I just sent her off for the airport with maybe not enough money to pay for the taxi, reminiscent of when she visited me in Korea, so maybe I haven't come that far.



2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. I like to imagine the scene where you cut up the sticky rice for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is embarrassing. and I don't remember the mango sticky rice, BTW. but I'm going to start saying BTW now because I guess I'm still just a college girl.

    ReplyDelete