Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Big is Beautiful


So, during the first few months of this pregnancy, I started to show pretty early, and my coworkers could not get enough of telling me how big I was, how I was getting bigger all the time, and how big my baby was going to be.

I got really tired of it- not because I felt insulted that they thought I was “fat,” but because the comments had no point. And how was I supposed to respond to the 14th “big” comment that week?

-Yes, I was getting bigger, but guess what? Pregnant women get bigger. Have you forgotten your pregnancies?

-Yes, my belly is sort of big right now, but the ultrasound puts him right on target for size, so- No, I don’t think he’s going to be a Giant Baby.

Anyway, right about the time when I would have lost it, my weight gain evened out, and my coworkers stopped making it a regular conversation topic.

Until this week.

I’m not sure if there’s been a surge in growth, or if it’s the clothes I’m wearing, or if my coworkers are just starting to pay attention again, but the comments (and pointing and laughing) have resumed. Only now, they like to do impressions of me, holding their arms in a large circle (to represent my belly), walking (or waddling) straight-legged, like some kind of zombie (which, I must point out, is not how I walk at all. I still have my dignity), showing how my belly comes through the doorway long before the rest of me.

This afternoon, amazed, I said, “You guys are lucky I'm not one of those pregnant ladies that gets really upset and offended by people saying how big they are."

“Oh, no! I think it's beautiful!" (Haha, yeah, I’m sure that’s what you were thinking doing the zombie walk)

And I said, "Well, that doesn't matter to a lot of pregnant ladies. They still don't like it, you know? They already feel big and cumbersome, and don’t want to know other people see them that way, too."

“We only say it because you know us, and we know you."

(Which would be a valid point, if it were true)

I said, "…No, i think you would say that to anybody," since i know they can't hold their tongues very well, and don’t have much of a filter.

And one of them said, "No! I just saw Adrienne (another pregnant lady) today, and I didn't say anything!"

...

And I said, "…Weeell, that's because you think Adrienne is tiny..."

"Yeah, but I didn't tell her how tiny she was!!"


Yeeeaaah… I’m not sure you get the point.

6 comments:

  1. haha ridiculous. so sorry. i was never stuck in a room for 8 hours with the same people. they seem to be a special group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wont mention it at all when I see you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a coworker who was fascinated by my pregnancy in a very scientific way. (I worked with scientists and science educators, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.) Every day she would watch me walk in, stand up herself, and then circle me while staring at my belly. I never even felt like she was watching me; it was more like she was trying to see through me to see the fetus. She would ask very clinical questions and I swear she had a mental clipboard with her "findings" from my responses. She would tilt her head and stare at my belly during meetings.
    Sadly, now that she's pregnant, she lives in Davis and I live in Florida. Yikes, I shouldn't mention names. You may know her. You probably know her. You work at the same place (but it's a big campus) and are due at the same time. Well, if you do know her, please stare at her belly for a few minutes just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me during my first pregnancy, "haha, yeah, I'm pretty big". Second pregnancy: (accompanied by an evil glare) yeah, I wouldn't mention that again, especially if you don't want me to throw up on you and then punch you in the face." Third pregnancy: Do YOU REALLY THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO TELL A WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN VOMITING, SWELLING, NOT SLEEPING, AND MOSTLY MISERABLE HOW IMPROBABLY LARGE SHE IS?". I was sort of joking the other day with a friend when I said that I'm in a bad mood for nine months. She nodded her head and said, "yeah, you kind of are."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Claire. I'm glad your dad made fun of you so much. Or you'd never be able to handle this kind of mistreatment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is it that commenting makes people feel involved somehow? And who wouldn't want to be involved with pregnant Claire? Really really cheerful pregnant Claire?

    ReplyDelete