Friday, October 19, 2012

Ashby Girls Heart Mark Porter.

From Carrie:

Because- just look at him.
Because I grew up at his house.
Because once he threw up and I cleaned it up and I just knew we were bonded for life after that.
Because Mark once spent an entire summer trying to teach me to play 'Legend of Zelda'.  Do you know how hard it is to watch someone ELSE lose a video game over and over and not take the controls away from them?
Because Mark is comforting.  Even now,  I frequently feel the urge to lean my head on Mark's shoulder.
Because Mark once spent 20 minutes parked with me behind a grocery store while I breastfed baby Lucy and didn't act all weird about it.
Because of that almost wistful look he gets when he's trying to sell you some dubious information.
Because Mark is funny.  Just ask him.
Because of this:


From Claire:

Because every time I watch that home video from Christmas 1988 when the Porters were over hanging out, we're all so obnoxious (Mark especially), and awkward that it makes me feel like I'm watching myself with my brother.
Because every time I watch the Vampire movie, I remember the pure glee on director Mark's face as he made Amy, Vivian, and me walk toward the camera (over and over again), then let down, and slowly shake, our long hair.
Because he was the first person to ever flirt with me. And even though he flirts with everyone, including my mother, it still made me feel special.
Because I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out which of his utterances were lies, and which were truth, because most fell somewhere in between.
Because he calls me Kitten.
From V

Because I spent many many a summer night with Mark scheming up some kind of trouble including a super secret club, mud pit wrestling, armor-all trampoline, "wild" uno rules, who's line is it anyway, I could keep going...
Because he can dance like strawberry shortcake
Because his eyebrows go up when he's lying, or at least I'm pretty sure...
Because he helped to bless my baby girl
Because he burned granola at mom's birthday party.  He's understands that level of inside jokes.
Because we once spent 3 hours driving around Berkeley looking for our pizza


from beth:

cuz he is really nice to me. and i am curiously drawn to people who think i am awesome.
cuz he is one of the only friends that can crash thanksgiving or christmas and i don't mind a bit. 
cuz he is really good at initiating conversation when i am feeling shy.
cuz he is SO good with babies and kids.
cuz he's SO DANG FUNNY! can i get an amen!?
cuz he gets almost as excited as i do about stuff. really excited.  

From Sarah:

Because he was my first boyfriend
Because no matter how long it is between seeing each other we're still good friends
Because he can tell a good story. "I've seen better."
Because let's just face it- who could not like Mark?


3 comments:

  1. how did you get that pic of v and mark? is that video online somewhere!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten about Mark proposing to Mom. We need to work on that- I'd like Mark for a dad.

    Also, I want to add that every time I think of Mark hanging from a harness around his pelvis in the high school gym it makes me giggle. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention that he once suggested that Chris was one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse? It hadn't occurred to me until he mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete