Thursday, April 26, 2012

Signs

Sometimes when Chris is out of town, I kind of let things...go. Things like going to bed at regular hours, taking showers, doing laundry, washing dishes, cooking, bringing in the mail...things like that. I figure that I'm the only one parenting from sun up to sun down, so don't judge.  But, in the past this has occasionally resulted in me making rash decisions about buying/rearranging furniture, pet ownership, adopting small Korean boys, and about how many vampire-themed books are acceptable to read in a day. Plus, you can only go so many days with no pride before it isn't funny anymore.

So this time, with Chris scheduled to be gone for three weeks, I decided to take the bull by the horns and get a hold of myself.  Proactively.  I have things to do.  I have children who look up to me. I have a job. I write for the Glenn Preschool newsletter, dammit, so keep it together girl!

And I have.  For the past week I have gone to bed by midnight every night.  I have exercised.  I have said my prayers twice daily, and read my scriptures. My kitchen is clean, and my mailbox is empty. I have played the piano and done the crossword.  I have registered for a continuing medical education course. I have appointments to go visiting teaching tomorrow morning.

But.  It is lurking. Nighttime Carrie is there, and she doesn't like being ignored. And if you look closely, you can see the telltale signs that things are about to crack wide open:

1. Last night I figured out how to stream Vampire Diaries to my iPad.
2. Today I opted to sleep in for an extra 15 minutes instead of taking a shower.
3. I am messing around writing a blog instead of finishing my charts from Wednesday's shift.
4. I took a nap today, from 4-5pm. Now it is 11:39 pm and it feels like the night is just getting good.

And finally,
5. I bought chocolate covered almonds at Costco today.

Don't let me adopt anything.





7 comments:

  1. Oh Carrie, Carrie - I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know she's still only lurking, but if Nighttime Carrie is ever back and bored, please tell her Nighttime Krissie is probably also awake, but less enamored with it, and would love some company. Maybe Nighttime Carrie has some amusing stories that would help quiet perennially Nighttime Annie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When moms gone I stay up later than I should because I have the computer to myself. So I can see how it can happen .

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write for the Glenn Preschool newsletter? Oh, man, I knew you were cool, but that's really impressive! Maybe there's some synergy between your column and the latest Vampire Diaries? In fact, I'm sure there is. Especially after midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of things have synergy after midnight.

      Delete
  6. i like how the girl and the cat have basically the same face on.

    ReplyDelete