Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Banff in the Boonies

When I saw that I was going to be out of town during the week that the Banff Film Festival was going to be in Davis, I frantically started trying to figure out where else it was playing in northern California. When I clicked on the listing for Downieville, I figured it wouldn't be anywhere near Auburn since I'd never heard of it before.

Google Maps quickly confirmed that Downieville isn't near anything. 

But to my surprise, as I zoomed out I saw the nearest town was North San Juan, which is just past Nevada City, which isn't that far from Auburn. I knew I wanted to go. Real bad. Somehow I convinced Claire, Gordon, Mom and Sarah to go on a crazy trip with me.

Lunch on the Yuba river

We thought we could make it to a graveyard that Thaddeus Constantine Hix may be buried in...
Nope.

Welcome to beautiful, miniscule Downieville

This sign is old - the 2010 census reports the population is 282

Note the mine entrance on the left

Claire shows off her fantastic horseshoe-throwing form

As do I. Just look at that arc.

Behold the mighty Yuba Theatre

I'll just end by saying that one of the prizes raffled off was moonshine.


8 comments:

  1. This is awesome. And, I'm not sure it's all that difficult to convince Claire to go on a crazy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah is cute and that Saloon is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anyone else think claire looks hot in those glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true, Amanda. Heck, I got her to go with me to South Dakota for spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe that will be where our house is that we all meet at and have hot chocolate and read when we are old?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Beth, and we can drink moonshine while playing horseshoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's how i always pictured it.

    ReplyDelete