Saturday, November 7, 2020

When You See an Emerald

 A poem by Hal Rees


Did you know that I like emeralds?

The royalty of emeralds.

It really takes it back.

I can't even hack

the best of them. If I had one

I would not give it to him, or him, or anyone

I know.

Be careful, don't even move a toe

when you see an emerald.

Don't judge on what you look at

in all those wacky books.

You should think like adults, 

who have gone to BYU

and have made pad see ew.

Even cows go moo when you see an emerald.

This is why we die-

to see the best jewel.

Not a garnet, amethyst, aquamarine, diamond, pearl, ruby, peridot

sapphire, opal, topaz, not even turquoise.

It's the emerald we want to see. 

So, prepare to see an emerald.

5 comments:

  1. Loved it. Love the shout out to pad see ew

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite poems ever. Wow. Personally I liked the shoutout to adults who have gone to BYU.
    Hal, this is really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so honored that going to BYU made me an adult worth thinking like

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one proud grandma here! I am so impressed with your poem! Emeralds are a good choice. My birthstone is aquamarine, but it's not my favorite because it's kind of boring and plain - not like an emerald. Can that be my favorite too?

    ReplyDelete