Friday, April 18, 2014

Thanks, but no thanks.



Ahhh, Abidjan. A city whose most memorable feature is the infestation of giant (and possibly ebola-infected) bats. With a beautiful National Park right within its boundaries... that you shouldn't go to because that's where all the felons who escaped from the prisons during the coup hide out and sell drugs. Where odors from the tuna factory combine with sewage fumes that waft in from the lagoon. I don't really miss your traffic jams and crazy drivers, your exorbitantly priced food or the melting humidity. But I'm glad I got to meet you. I'm glad I had a chance to see the clinics that are helping HIV/AIDS patients and meet the people who are so dedicated to helping them. I'm glad there was someone nice enough to pick me up and take me to church, and that I got to hear cool stories about the church in Abidjan and bear my testimony and feed primary kids my trail mix. Also, I must admit that it was really fun to have a driver take me around in a white SUV and have clearance at the U.S. Embassy. So I am glad I got to visit you, Abidjan, but... you also made me super grateful that I live somewhere where I don't see men peeing on the sidewalk 4 times a day. Thanks for the experience, but if it's ok I'm going to leave before I get ebola from the bats.

Pictures here.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Glad you had the experience. Glad you got out safely!

    ReplyDelete