Sunday, November 10, 2013

Feed me, Seamour.

Last week was International Day at the kids' school, which is really saying something as there are 66 nationalities represented there.  It was pretty fun- the day starts off with a parade of nations, which involves a lot of people milling around and yelling things like, "Where are the Bela-russians?  Has anyone seen the Bela-russians?!" The American kids wore T-shirts with American flags on them, which is kind of a national costume, dontcha think?

Then there was an assembly with cultural perfomances, including K-pop by the Phillipinos, a Shakespeare reading by the Brits, and Thai national dancing.  After that it was on to the food hall, which also happened to be where I volunteered to help.

Folks, let me tell you, that food hall was one of the more amazing things I have ever seen.  Turns out that:
moms w/ free time + disposable income + national pride + private school competitiveness= food sampling that is off the hook.

There were forty nations represented, with tables overflowing with free homemade ethnic food stuffs, and the kids could wander around and eat whatever they wanted.  The Danes were making crepes.  The Belgians had a chocolate fountain.  The Japanese were molding sushi to look like pandas.  The French were complaining that they couldn't serve wine.  It was like a Chris Gregory Willy Wonka heaven.  The Americans did ourselves proud by making...popcorn.  Which was all that the kids wanted to eat in the first place.

Actually, that kind of sums up the whole day.  The parents were thrilled.  The kids, underwhelmed.
Theo's class.  Kids from India, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Singapore, Denmark and Thailand.

The assembly- Americans in blue, Malaysia in black, and the Netherlands in orange.



While I was stuffing bags full of popcorn, the French were busy serving quiche and pate'.

5 comments:

  1. Theo has a crush on the Brazilian girl in the picture, whose hair he complimented by saying "It looks like my Mom's." I don't think I can rock the midrif-baring blue and yellow dress and fruit hat nearly as well as Ana did though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, when I asked Lucy what 'K-pop' is, she rolled her eyes like I was born in a barn and said, "MOM, it's pop music from KOREA." Oh of course. And here I was thinking it was a cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that food table looks unbelievable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fair. Life is not fair. dkap.vmd8*(da;jdsaf.....Oh, pardon me while my drool short-circuits my keyboard. ;)

    I second Vivian's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and everyone knows what 'K-Pop' is..... What?!?!

    ReplyDelete