Monday, January 14, 2019

I got a writing assignment from Lucy's Freshman Seminar teacher.

My Hopes and Dreams for Lucy

By Her Mom

I hope that Lucy will climb walls and build bridges. I hope that she will dance often and frolic occasionally. I hope that she feels loved in spades and can love with abandon. I hope that she has moments of reverence and hours of irreverence. I hope that she treasures her brother. I hope that she brushes her teeth but refuses to wait thirty minutes after eating to go swimming.

I hope Lucy will turn the music up loud, but down again when the neighbors ask nicely. I hope she will avoid spurious caviling. I hope that she will put her bare feet out of the car window, but not while she is driving. I hope that she feels beautiful.

I hope that Lucy always knows how funny she is, even if no one else in the room gets the joke. I hope that she sometimes gets upgraded to first class, but never ever expects it. I hope that she can balance honesty and kindness, courage and caution, and always remembers her gmail password. I hope that she knows to pray but is careful about leaps of faith. I hope she looks up at the sky.

I hope that Lucy has the strength to do what needs to be done. I hope that she howls at the moon but stops just before it gets obnoxious. I hope that she finds good books, great friends, and that there is a sunny spot on the couch to sit in when she needs it. I hope she sings along.

To misquote Tina Fey:

"First, Lord: No tattoos. May neither Chinese symbol for truth nor Winnie-the-Pooh holding the CSU logo stain her tender haunches.
Lead her away from renaissance faires, but not all the way to middle management…
When the Crystal Meth is offered,
May she remember the parents who cut her grapes in half
And stick with chocolate.”

I hope that Lucy lives life abundantly, but mostly I hope that she learns how to be happy, regardless of circumstance. I love you, Lucybird.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sentiment about brushing your teeth, but not believing everything people say you *should* do...

    ReplyDelete