Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Blog Post, Adrest to Vivi.

Before I went to college, I paid almost no attention to my younger sisters. I didn't play with them.  I didn't babysit them. I don't even remember talking to them, except to get mad at them for eating my stuff. As far as I was concerned, they ran in a pack that ideally didn't involve me at all.

Then, one day as I was packing to leave for college, Viv came in to my room and handed me this note:



Maybe it was the glitter glue.  Maybe it was the "Me sad," with arrow picture. Maybe it was just remembering that I even had a little sister named Vivian, but the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.  I vividly remember sitting on my bed and looking at that note and thinking, "I have been a bad sister. I should be a better sister. What if we all grew up to be friends?  That would be sort of cool."

And I actually think things changed after that.  I invited them to come and stay with me for weekends.  I played 'bear cave' with little Rachel when I came home to visit.  I talked to Beth about the Beatles. OK, I might have punched Sarah, but in general I was trying.  And maybe we all would have grown up to be best of friends anyways, but I'm not so sure.  For me, it started with this note.  Thanks, V.




5 comments:

  1. You are my missing puzzel piece Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot believe you still have that note! amazing! here's what i like- the patterned border, the glitter, Vivi, "me sad," and the fact that it inspired you to make friends with us. good job vivi. you did us all a favor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's funny that even 24 years ago, Vivian was still the one that was controlling the family while letting Carrie think she made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have guessed that 24 years later I'd just be doing whatever Vivian tells me to do. Give the girl some glitter glue and she'll take over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel's comment made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete