Thursday, September 20, 2012

Well, what would YOU do if your daughter asked YOU?

At the library today, I stopped by the graphic novels section.  I've been checking them out for Lucy, and she's read some pretty cool stuff that would otherwise have been too hard for her.  For example, she was riveted by The Odyssey, and she's read some Shakespeare and some Jules Verne.  Today however, the shelf was empty, except for this:



I was frozen, completely stumped.  Here is a fairly literal transcript of my mental conversation with myself.  I felt like Tevye, in the Fiddler on the Roof:

on the one hand...Nancy Drew, Vampire Slayer?! How awesome is that?
on the other hand...Nancy Drew, Vampire Slayer? That's completely ridiculous.
on the other hand...Lucy would LOVE it.
on the other hand...no way does my daughter need gateway drug vampire fiction.
on the other hand...I want to read it.
on the other hand...Lucy is 9. See above comment about vampire fiction.
on the other hand...I wonder what Ned looks like? Is that him on the cover?
on the other hand...no way do I want this on my permanent library record
on the other hand...this is just the tween version of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, right?
on the other hand...Lucy is 9.
on the other hand....

NO!  There IS no other hand!

I left it on the shelf.  But aren't you just a little curious?

4 comments:

  1. I was immediately intrigued by this title because I love all things Buffy, and also because I'm not 9 years old. However, when I searched for it on my local library's website, it was unavailable. The closest match was "Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer." There is only one copy available right now - in the Young Adult non-fiction section of the Crestview library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow that lacks sex appeal. Non fiction though, so that sounds educational...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about a few things. This is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete