Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm too sexy for my white high tops

Fifth grade was the first year that anyone in my class showed up to school dressed as a Playboy bunny for Halloween. I remember this quite clearly, because a)I didn't know what a Playboy bunny was, and b)I showed up wearing this:


I remember the wheels turning in my 5th grade brain as it slowly, foggily began to dawn on me that maybe dressing up in costume wasn't just about showing off your creativity anymore. Also that maybe my parents should have said something.

This week the mom talk at the bus stop has been all about what to wear to the neighborhood eighties party. I'd been thinking about it- white high tops with stacked socks of different colors, oversized shirt, pegged, baggy pants. Pretty easy, really. But then, as I was listening to the other ladies talk..."I hope my skirt isn't too short for a grown woman"..."I'll probably never be able to wear my off-the-shoulder sweatshirt ever again"..."Hope I can still squeeze into my Madonna gear"...I slowly, foggily realized that I'd missed the point. Again. The point was NOT to go dressed like I actually DRESSED in the 80's. The point was to look good. Or at least try to. I'm not sure if we actually pulled off sexy, but at least I realized it before I got to school this time.

4 comments:

  1. I think you both look amazing but to me that is not the 80s. If I carbon dated those outfits I'd come up with 1991.

    What was the rest of the party wearing? Any pics of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris is just from the future. Or else maybe you were only 7 in the 80's and weren't as aware of the Seattle scene as you should have been.

    I don't have any pictures from the rest of the party, but there were a lot of Def Leppard concert t-shirts and polo shirts with flipped up collars. And one pair of some amazing corduroy OP short shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was Chris aware of the Seattle scene? I'm pretty sure it was called an underground (until about 1991) scene for a reason. And this reminiscing is making me want to go buy some flannel shirts.

    I'm suspicious of the popped collars. How many of those people wear those now and didn't actually in the 80s?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am still laughing at the look on your face in the top picture...

    ReplyDelete