Friday, September 17, 2010

Boom Boom Pow

Did you guys know that i hate little stickers on fruit? Well, I hate them. I hate that something so basic as fruit off of a tree has somehow been processed to the point where EVERY SINGLE FRUIT in the grocery store must have a little sticker. So, because I hate stickered fruit, and because I've read all those books about buying local food (OK, I haven't read them, but I can imagine what they say), I signed up to have a box of fruits and vegetables from a local farm delivered to my house.

On Tuesday, I came home to find a box on my doorstep. Excited, I opened the box and found:

- 2 small, red delicious tomatoes that Theo and I ate on the spot.
- a small paper bag of little yellow tomatoes, also eaten immediately.
- 4 apples, crunchy and sweet
- 4 zucchini/summer squash...OK, maybe I'll make bread?
- 3 (three!) butternut squash. Even 1 might have been too many for this family.
- a ziplock bag of black-eyed peas. Hmmmm.
- a paper bag of some mystery grain...grits? anyone know what quinoa looks like? I'm stumped.
- a clump of some suspicious looking, wilted greenery.

So, while I'm glad that none of it had stickers and some of it was even dirty, I'm not sure how to actually EAT most of it. Any ideas? Black-eyed peas anybody?

7 comments:

  1. good luck on that one. let me know how it goes, i've been contemplating the same stunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to add, 5 ears of popping corn. Again, hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do y'all go in for soups? Because there are some yummy squash soup recipes out there. I have a pretty tasty chilled summer squash recipe, and there are some tasty curried butternut squash recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krissie, are you telling me I need to buy a blender?

    ReplyDelete
  5. squash/black eye pea soup with wilted greens? seriously carrie. you don't REALLy want to eat local, organic, and seasonal. sometimes local, organic, and seasonal means healthy, buggy, and bland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and what the heck does "boom boom pow" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  7. never mind. claire brought me up to speed. yer funny.

    ReplyDelete